Lead Front-end Engineer
We are looking for someone to be widely experienced in this field to help keep us at the bleeding edge. Traditionally, we have worked for technically skilled clients in Space such as ESA, SRON, Astron and similar. More and more, we are developing services and software aimed at end-users: a smartphone app to view air quality measured by satellite, a desktop application to help design Navy ships, a webapp to query and interact with complex geographical data, etc. You will work on these applications, but will also be able to coordinate our choices and internal products and tools regarding front-end engineering.
Why you would fit with our team:
You are trained as a full stack software engineer with a passion for front-end development. You prefer projects that pose a challenge, e.g. related to UX, performance, interoperability, automation or scaling.
To some extent, you have an informed opinion of and experience with several of the following topics:
- UX and UI design
- Qt and other cross-platform thick application frameworks
- Functional and O-O programming
- Automation of e.g. build processes and package management
- Back-end technologies and software engineering in general
- Design patterns, data modelling, and API development
- App programming and responsive visualisations
- Web application frameworks
- Versioning (e.g. with Git), testing and integration, at different levels
Your personal ambition is to become an expert in front-end software engineering and you are looking for opportunities to learn and grow. You like to work in multidisciplinary, international and diverse teams. You have strong communication skills (for teamwork) and feel comfortable in an English-speaking work environment. You are team-motivated. You enjoy our high-paced, action-driven environment.
This is an excellent role for a senior or a talented medior person who wants to have ownership of their projects and wants to take the lead in their field of expertise within our team.
Some of the background info about our current environment that might interest you:
- Your colleagues are software engineers who develop mostly for scientific applications in Linux (server) environments with growth in (web) application development.
- We self-host, use and produce FOSS where possible.
- Software Engineering projects use technologies such as Jenkins, Redmine, Gitlab, SVN etc. Current web applications are often based on Django, and thick applications on Qt. However, technologies are always in flux.
- Our 50 colleagues work at MSc+/PhD-level in our offices in Delft (NL), Drachten (NL) and Oslo (NO).