Scientific Software Engineer
Science [&] Technology AS (S[&]T) is part of the S[&]T Corporation (headquarters in the Netherlands), operating for more than 18 years in project implementations and product developments where science and technology play an important role, building bridges from technical capabilities through to market-ready solutions.
We are currently looking for a Scientific Software Engineer located in Oslo, Norway to work on software development for scientific applications.
At S[&]T we push technological boundaries with the aim of staying in the forefront of innovative, state-of-the-art applications. Together with our international customers we utilize novel techniques and platforms to make big data image analytics more scalable and automated. Several of our projects involve intelligent processing of imaging payload data from spaceborne and airborne platforms, pushing embedded systems to their limit.
In November 2018 we successfully became the first in the world to do image processing on data from a miniaturized hyperspectral imager onboard a small satellite in orbit. This ground-breaking achievement enables an industry shift towards having intelligent satellites capable of offering users on the ground derived analytics without relying on heavy and time-consuming ground segment systems. See www.hyperscout.nl for further details.
We have for several years been working closely with the forest industry to innovate their resource management tools, by using various machine learning techniques for retrieving more efficient and accurate information out of very large image datasets. We use, amongst others, deep convolutional neural networks for the interpretation of multispectral satellite datasets, and continuously explore new techniques and new datasets becoming available. See www.silvisense.com.
We are looking for a Scientific Software Engineer with a passion for cutting edge technology development. Ideally, you are someone who enjoys working in a dynamic, high-tech organization. Furthermore, you have the following:
- You have completed a higher technical education (MSc or PhD) in Aerospace, Cybernetics, Physics, Computer Science, Informatics, or similar topics;
- You have hands-on experience in working with machine learning and artificial intelligence;
- You have experience with software development, preferably in Python and/ or C++ and interest in special purpose processors such as GPU and FPGA;
- Preferably you have knowledge of interfaces such as I2C, SPI, CAN, SpaceWire or SpaceFibre;
- There is a preference for experience with FGPA development and space platforms or small power constrained platforms in general;
- Experience working with (Earth observation) imaging satellite instrument data is preferred;
- You function well in a team and are able to communicate effectively and clearly (both verbally and in writing) with customers and your team members;
- You have a strong analytical mind that enjoys coming up with novel solutions;
- You are flexible and motivated, in work tasks and approaches, adhering to professional standards while maintaining a result and customer focus;
- You are capable of self-study and quickly acquiring new knowledge/new skills across technical areas;
- You are fluent in written and spoken English.
- Software development for scientific applications, independent or in a team;
- Optimizing processing throughout by improving algorithm, code implementation, IT infrastructure;
- Testing and documentation of the software;
- Communication with the project partners and/or the customer within the projects;
- Communication of your technical opinions and results within the company;
- Support on proposal/bids writing.
Would you like to hear more? Send your CV and motivational letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, or apply directly through our website!
Please note that if you do not hear back from us
within 10 days from your application, you may assume that we have selected
another candidate we would like to interview for this position. We do our best
to get back to you individually, however, due to a high volume in response,
have not been able to reject your application in person.