Chemical Propulsion Engineer
At S[&]T we are
specialized in R&D solutions for space, science, and defence. We live and
breathe innovation, and are one of the few partners that work together with
High Tech organizations in optimizing performance through projects on-site or
in-house at S[&]T. We support European Space Agency with software projects
and personnel, and have a long-term focus on Earth Observation and Space
Science software projects.
We are currently looking for an additional Chemical Propulsion Engineer to join the Propulsion Engineering Section at our client ESA/ESTEC located in Noordwijk, the Netherlands supporting projects together with the international space industry.
As a Chemical Propulsion Engineer, you will provide expert technical support in Propulsion for Spacecraft (chemical propulsion) and for Launchers (liquid and solid propulsion) to the Agency’s project teams responsible for the development of spacecraft and launchers, throughout all the project phases.
You will also support the activities for studies, experimental investigations and engineering developments in spacecraft and launcher propulsion (components, equipment, sub-systems, systems), as well as support the activities for studies, experimental investigations and engineering developments in advanced propulsion (components, equipment, sub-systems, systems), such as nuclear propulsion, solar/thermal upper stages, Airbreathing Propulsion, Advanced Chemical Systems, MEMS etc.
Furthermore, you will focus on the following tasks:
- Provision of specialised support to Agency feasibility and project definition studies, preparatory programmes and approved projects in the field of chemical propulsion;
- Participation in the definition and execution of the Agency's technology programmes;
- Contribution to the overseeing activities of the Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality;
- Harmonisation with other ESA and national developments and monitoring of applicable development trends;
- Provision of specialised support to feasibility, preparatory programmes and approved projects in the field of chemical propulsion, including CDF participation;
- Assessment and development of chemical propulsion novel propulsion concepts (e.g. Nuclear and Airbreathing technologies);
- Assessment and development of relevant advanced propulsion methods, processes and concepts (MEMS propulsion, Green Propulsion, Advanced Manufacturing etc);
- The configuration/system design of chemical propulsion systems including the initiation of appropriate critical technology developments (coordinating support by other D/TEC sections);
- Establishment and promotion of design and engineering standards in the area of chemical propulsion;
- The undertaking of programmes of basic experimental research and evaluation/qualification testing in the chemical propulsion in the ESA Propulsion Laboratory at ESTEC.
- Minimum a Master’s degree in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering with emphasis in space propulsion related subjects;
- At least 4 years of relevant work experience post-graduation;
- Proven experience in the design, development and/or testing of chemical propulsion systems and/or components for spacecraft and/or launcher applications;
- A good knowledge of other specialist technological areas involved in space propulsion i.e. materials, thermal, mechanical would also be desirable;
- EU nationality or a valid working permit for the Netherlands.
Would you like to hear more? Send your CV and motivational letter to email@example.com, or apply directly through our website!
Please note that if you do not hear back from us within 10 days from your application, you may assume that we have selected another candidate we would like to interview for this position. We do our best to get back to you individually, however, due to a high volume in response, have not been able to reject your application in person.