Lead Mechanical Designer
At S[&]T we are
specialized in R&D solutions for space, science, and defence. We live and
breathe innovation, and are one of the few partners that work together with
High Tech organizations in optimizing performance through projects on-site or
in-house at S[&]T.
We are currently looking for a Lead Mechanical Designer located in Dwingeloo/ Leiden together with our client in the astronomy industry.
As technical lead of the mechanical design, you will develop optomechanical components, subsystems and instruments for astronomy. You will be part of this interdisciplinary, international consortium. As Technical Lead of the Mechanical Design Team, you will develop optomechanical components, subsystems and instruments for astronomy.
Your duties and responsibilities consist of, but are not necessarily limited to:
- Lead a team of approx. 7 mechanical engineers;
- Design within cryogenic (+ ultra-high vacuum) boundary conditions;
- Conceptual design of opto-mechanical systems and components;
- In cooperation with the systems and MAIT engineers converge on interface definitions (mechanical, optical, thermal and electrical);
- In collaboration with manufacturing, mechanical and optical engineers continue refining existing tolerance chain analysis and propose optimization locations;
- Perform various levels of subsystem performance modeling and/or analysis as needed;
- Cooperate with external partners and suppliers on design activities;
- Providing input to the project manager and system engineering on mechanical engineering progress and issues;
- Participate in and lead regular project, system and subsystem reviews;
- Coordinate and provides contributions to documentation for design and analysis reports;
- Possible travel between various locations may be needed as well as occasional travel to international partners (mainly within Europe).
- Minimum 5+ years relevant experience in opto-mechanical design and engineering or related precision engineering;
- Experience in leading engineering teams;
- Proficient in 3D CAD design (experience in using Siemens NX is a strong plus);
- Strong oral, written and interpersonal communications skills;
- A bachelor or equivalent degree in mechanical engineering or equivalent experience;
- Experience in building optical and/or infrared instruments for a cryogenic and vacuum operation is preferred.
The location for this job is in Dwingeloo for at least 3 days/week, with the weekly balance in Leiden.
Would you like to hear more? Send your CV and motivational letter to email@example.com, or apply directly through our website!
Please note that if you do not hear back from us within 10 days from your application, you may assume that we have selected another candidate we would like to interview for this position. We do our best to get back to you individually, however, due to a high volume in response, have not been able to reject your application in person.